Monday, December 8, 2008

The Rat Tail Speaketh.

Steve Clark is one of the most renowned and recognized Michigan Bucks of all time. A three year veteran of the team, Clark backstopped the Bucks to the North American Championship in 2006, two consecutive PDL finals ('06-'07) and a PDL Regular Season Championship in 2008. In collegiate play he was recently named as the Summit League's Defensive MVP while backstopping Oakland to the League Regular Season Championship. With all this said, we're not positive but pretty sure he holds a number of Bucks Goalkeeping records so for now that premise works for this piece in which Steve (sporting a new hairstyle yet again) tells us all he wants for Christmas...

What a wonderful time of year the holiday season. My house is overflowing with cookies, poinsettias, Christmas decorations and most importantly, Christmas presents. For many impatient kids like me, Christmas is a time of anticipation, wondering and waiting to open presents. This holiday season my presents aren’t under the tree or in a stocking or even dropped off by Santa and his reindeer. The only thing on my Christmas list this year is, well, a professional soccer contract.

I am often asked these days questions that go something like:

*"How is the contract search going?”
*“ What team are you going to play for?”
*“Are you going to like, play for Manchester United?”

I often answer politely with the rehearsed script in which I try to summarize a very complex process in thirty seconds or more but it recently occurred to me that I feel like a kid waiting to open presents Christmas morning. I am overwhelmed with anticipation of what the next month or so will bring. I often catch myself daydreaming for long periods of time about countries or teams that I could play for much like a kid thinking of what kind of presents he will receive. Well, I have to admit that I do know one thing; I AM NOT GOING TO PLAY FOR MANCHESTER UNITED.

As the days count down to the MLS combine in January and the USL combine in a week, I have found myself more and more anxious about the ambiguous nature of my future. The one really fun part is that I am not alone in my anticipation; I am sharing it with many of my former Bucks teammates. Over the years while playing for the Bucks we have all become friends and as friends often talk about the future; us soccer guys are no different. The form of communication varies form phone calls to Facebook messages but we all are sharing the common goal, the common dream of becoming professional soccer players. I could not be happier pursuing a professional soccer career and having my buddies right along with me.

If you really think about it, what could make Christmas better? Having your friends right next to you opening presents.

Go Bucks!

Steve Clark # 25

No comments: